English muffins are a perfect treat for breakfast time. You can serve yours up as Eggs Benedict with beautiful hollandaise sauce or just with some jam or cheese and tomato. You can prepare the muffins the day before and reheat them in the toaster or freeze them once cooked and defrost before re-heating them in the oven. This Thermomix recipe is really quick and easy to prepare and you will never go back to the shop bought version.
For proving I use my Thermi servebowl because it acts as a perfect little mini proving cupboard and retains the heat. You can use the medium size for this recipe.
- 170 g whole milk
- 1 tsp dry active yeast or 15g fresh yeast
- 15 g caster sugar
- 300 g strong white bread flour + extra for dusting
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 20 g semolina for dusting
Place the whole milk, yeast and sugar in the mixing bowl. Warm 2 Min. / 37C / Speed 2. Add the flour, salt, butter and egg knead 2 Min. / Kneading Function. Tip the dough into a medium Thermi Servebowl or leave in the mixing bowl to rise until doubled in size for 45 minutes.
- Once risen, tip the dough onto a silicone baking mat dusted with some flour and semolina. Roll out to 3cm thickness and cut out with a round cookie cutter about 9cm diameter. Place the circles onto a tray dusted with semolina.
- Meanwhile, heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat. Once hot, place the muffins on the skillet and fry for 3 minutes on each side. Remove and leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving. The muffins will still cook a little longer and it will be fluffier. Serve as part of eggs Benedict or whatever you like.
rate and comment
- more delicious recipes
take them for a spin