- 400 g whole milk
- 1 sachet of dried active yeast
- 20 g brown sugar
- 600 g plain flour
- 10 g salt
- 1000 g water
- 3 Tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- To finish:
- 3 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- 50 g shallots peeled
- 250 g camembert
- 150 g creme fraiche
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 pinches pepper
- 5 g chives chopped
- Add milk, sugar and yeast to the mixing bowl and warm up on setting 2 Min./37°C/Speed 2.
- If you don’t have a Thermomix, place the above ingredients into a saucepan and warm up until it is lukewarm. Stir at all times with a wooden spoon.
- Add flour and salt (in this order!) and knead until smooth on setting 2.5 Min. /.
- If you don’t have a Thermomix, place the yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour and salt (in this order!) and knead until smooth. This process might take up to 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough and leave to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size. Once risen, take the dough out of the bowl and place it onto a floured surface. The trick is to tip the bowl upside down and remove the bottom. Then press the knife down. The dough should come out clean. Be careful when picking up the knife. Cut the dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece out to be a long (40 cm) rope with a slightly thicker middle and thinner ends. Bring the two ends together in the middle, overlap them, twist, and bring back to go over the main body. Almost like tying a knot. Place on a floured baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Bring the water to boil in a medium-sized saucepan and add the bicarbonate of soda. When it is boiling, turn it down to low heat.
- Carefully place the 2 pretzels at a time in the water and leave in there for 30-50 seconds, turning them halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon. Place back on the tray and sprinkle with sea salt. Slightly slice the bottom of the pretzel and place them in the oven to bake for 12-18 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, to make the cheese dip, place the shallots in the mixing bowl. Blitz 3 Sec. / Speed 5. Scrape down.
- Add the camembert in pieces, creme fraiche, caraway seeds, salt, paprika and pepper and mix 20 Sec. / Speed 4. Remove and place into a bowl. Sprinkle with the chives and enjoy with the warm pretzels!
Tip: If you have a few trays, only boil the pretzel you are about to place in the oven. This avoids getting soggy pretzels.
rate and comment
- more delicious recipes
take them for a spin