Strawberry Traybake Cake
At home I used to have strawberry cake all the time in the summer. From May you could go to the local fields and pick your own strawberries. Mum and I would always get a bucket and make a little outing to the fields to pick as many as we could carry. At home mum would then make strawberry jam while Omi would bake my favourite strawberry traybake.
This is a super delicious and simple Thermomix recipe and originally Omi would always add some Sprite for Fanta but I found it to be a little sweet so opted for sparkling water instead. Works a treat and the sparkling water really adds some lovely lightless to the sponge. In Germany we have packets of cake glaze for topping cakes and these come in a powder sachet and set similar to jelly but you can easily use strawberry jam or red jelly.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 350 g caster sugar
- 180 g sparkling water
- 180 g sunflower oil
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 400 g plain flour
- 400 g strawberries halved
- 200 g red jelly or strawberry jam or 2 packs of red cake glaze (German)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a large, deep baking tray with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Place the eggs, vanilla bean paste, caster sugar, sparkling water, sunflower oil, baking powder and plain flour in the mixing bowl. Combine 30 Sec. / Speed 5. Scrape down using a spatula and repeat 10 Sec. / Speed 5.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove and transfer onto a wire cooling rack.
Place on a serving plate and decorate the strawberries on top. You can either now glaze with jelly or strawberry jam. To make the jelly, follow the packaging instructions but add more water so that the mixture stays a little more thin. Spread over the strawberries and leave to set before serving.
- If you are using jam, simply heat the jam in a small saucepan until just boiling, then pour over the strawberries. Leave to cool before slicing.
rate and comment
- more delicious recipes
take them for a spin